I’ve landed my choice job!
It’s a good feeling to know that I have a job.Â Or, will have, very soon.Â After my second interview, I feel somewhat drained.Â Not that it was particularly gruelling, but the anxiety associated with interviews and the tremendous relief afterwards can leave you feeling like you’ve been hit by a truck.Â Then, I get excited knowing that we can stay in England, we can move house, etc.Â Then, I get anxious again because we have to move house, etc.[ad#ad-1]
Anyhow, my two interviews have renewed my confidence.Â It’s not a good feeling when you’ve sent out two dozen CVs and not get word for a long time.Â But, being offered a job on the spot is a big booster.Â I went ahead and did the second interview just to see how I would do (besides the fact that it was a little late to cancel on them).Â Though I wasn’t formally offered a job, I was asked if I would accept if it was offered and when I could start.Â They implied I was overqualified, and seeing that the only other interviewer at the time spent only 5 minutes with them, it was enough to convince me they were trying to see which way the wind was blowing.Â I had to admit that I couldn’t accept, but I wanted to know how I did.Â The main interviewer told me he could not see how I could not be successful in whatever I decided to pursue.
Of course, as soon as I received my first offer, I got called for two other interviews.Â One was very tempting.Â I have to make a lateral career change and I have chosen two areas of expertise.Â The job I chose is in the field of my first choice.Â But, the job is a temporary one, and I will be starting out part-time, moving to full-time in a few months’ time.Â However, it’s a step towards my goal, and it gets me a foot in the door.Â My second job would be doing what I had done years ago, so a definite step down.Â The third interview, which I turned down, is similar to the second.Â All three are temporary.Â But, the fourth one would have been permanent and would lead me down a path towards my second choice of a career change.Â It’s tempting to go for it and see how I do, but I think it’s probably best to concentrate on finding another house and a new school, etc.Â There’s still that slight twinge of regret, but I know that the position would be a lot more competitive.
It’s not that I regret my decision.Â But, the cost of living is a lot higher at my chosen job than if I chose any one of the other positions. On the other hand, there would be fewer transitions.Â For example, our daughter will still be able to go to the same gym and have the same piano teacher.Â They’ll stay in their school until mid-term at least.Â
But, we’re moving because our lease will be up soon and we’ve had enough of all the problems in this house.Â I’m not sure how much longer before the rest of the floor in the kitchen will cave in.Â We have enough trouble walking around the areas that have already broken through.Â There’s also a hole in the bathroom.Â All the work that the landlord was supposed to take care of since we moved in has not been touched.Â In addition, they (agent and landlord) have not resolved this issue with the electric meter.Â As it turns out, we were right when we complained that we must’ve been paying for more than our fair share of electricity.Â So, until October, when I start my job, we will need to take a good look at our housing and schooling options.
I was also very excited about my pay.Â I had been informed by several institutions that because I am new to this country, I would start at the lowest pay level.Â However, this place argued that with my experience, I should be offered something closer to the top (not the very top due to my inexperience in this country, but close).Â It means we will be able to maintain our current standard of living, which is by no means extravagant in any sense.Â But, to find a house in our price range will be very difficult down in that area.Â We will have to live a little ways out.
My excitement has been tempered by the fact that next year, when I have actually worked a full year, my salary would be at a level such that I might have to pay double taxes – UK and US!Â I’ll have to look into this.Â To have to pay taxes to two different countries means that the take-home would be even less.Â And what makes it even more unfair is that the US uses an exchange rate of 2.1 (based on the currency exchange from several years ago), and not the current rate, which is closer to 1.6.